Weight loss supplements use has become fairly common around the world as more and more people become aware of the threat of obesity.
In the United States alone, people spend as much as $2 billion a year on different weight loss supplements in the form of extracts, pills, soft gels and capsules. 
With several new dietary weight loss supplements hitting the market every day, many more people are drawing to the idea of adding supplements to their existing diet to lose weight.
But with this many supplements and the occasional controversies backing them, it can be quite easy to get overwhelmed with choice and doubt of whether they’ll work or not.
And whether they’re safe for health or not.
To help you choose the best of supplements from the swarm of many, we compiled a list of 5 weight loss supplements that not only actually work and are safe for your health, but are also backed by scientific evidence.
So when you hit the next store online or offline to buy a potential weight loss supplement to boost your efforts, keep an eye out for the following:
Green Coffee Bean Extract
As the name suggests, the supplement is made from extracting green coffee beans with the aim of retrieving two of the most important ingredients that promote weight loss. These ingredients are:
- Chlorogenic Acid
What’s the science behind green coffee bean extract?
Scientific evidence has shown that caffeine is known to increase metabolism in human beings.  On an average, these supplements contain 20 – 40mg of caffeine per serving depending on the product. 20mg is equal to 1 cup of decaffeinated coffee.
Chlorogenic Acid is the main ingredient responsible in aiding weight loss. Evidence has shown that this ingredient can promote anywhere from moderate to high weight loss in individuals.  One serving of this supplement contains approximately 800mg of Chlorogenic Acid.
Green Tea Extract
Green Tea Extract on its own is an extremely effective metabolism booster. But what happens when you extract the main ingredient that boosts your metabolism and make it 4x more active? You get accelerated fat burning.
Here’s what happens when you take Green Tea Extract:
Your metabolism increases and you tend to burn more fat, especially from the belly area because of the antioxidant EGCG in green tea. When green tea is consumed in large but controlled quantities, it increases norepinephirine, this is a hormone that naturally burns fat. 
A typical serving of Green Tea Extract contains 409mg of EGCG.
Raspberry Ketones, a substance inside raspberries has been found to aid in weight loss.
Several companies have utilized the fat burning component of this substance in the form of pills which are available as synthetic raspberry ketones pills.
Background of how this substance works in aiding weight loss:
Several studies on animals have shown that Raspberry ketones are capable of increasing the levels of adiponectin, a hormone that is believed to boost the efforts of anyone trying to lose weight.
While there hasn’t been any study conducted on humans, it has still shown a relation to weight loss or reduced weight gain over a period of 6 weeks in animals provided with high fat diet. 
A typical serving (2 capsules) of Raspberry Ketone supplement contains 1000mg of pure Raspberry Ketones.
White Kidney Bean Extract
White Kidney Bean Extract is a new contender in the ever growing weight loss supplement market. The supplement is known to block absorption of fat.
Just 445mg a day of white kidney bean extract can aid in weight loss by boosting alpha-amylase, a hormone that breaks down the carbohydrates you consume them. 
So even if you are on a high carbohydrate diet, you can still lose weight by adding this supplement to your diet. A serving size of 3 capsules contains 1800mg of pure white kidney bean extract.
Garcinia Cambogia Extract
Garcinia Cambogia Extract has recently become a favorite amongst people aiming to lose weight. It is a fruit whose skin contains Hydroxycitric Acid (HCA), an ingredient known to boost weight loss by curbing hunger.
Garcinia Cambogia is often picked over other supplements simply because of the fact that it contains no adverse side effects.
How does it work?
Several studies over the past have found out that hydroxycitric acid can increase a fat-producing enzyme that boosts serotonin levels in the body, resulting in reduced hunger or cravings. 
Each serving of the supplement contains anywhere from 500 – 1400mg of HCA.
Loyoala University Health System published a report in 2013 concluding that overeating, or underestimating calories consumed is one of the four top reasons why so many people fail at dieting. 
Adding supplements like the Garcinia Cambogia can greatly reduce cravings, hence helping in keeping away from being derailed from a diet.
- Use of nonprescription dietary supplements for weight loss is common among Americans. J Am Diet Assoc.2007 Mar;107(3):441-7.
- Comparison of changes in energy expenditure and body temperatures after caffeine consumption. Ann Nutr Metab.1995;39(3):135-42
- Chlorogenic Acids from Green Coffee Extract are Highly Bioavailable in Humans. Adriana Farah, Mariana Monteiro, Carmen M. Donangelo, Sophie Lafay . Nutr.2008;138:2309-2315, December 1, 2008 (10.3945/jn.108.095554).
- Green tea catechins, caffeine and body-weight regulation Department of Human Biology, Nutrim, Faculty of Health, Medicine, and Life Sciences, Maastricht University. Volume 100, Issue 1, 26 April 2010, Pages 42–46
- Green Tea Catechin Consumption Enhances Exercise-Induced Abdominal Fat Loss in Overweight and Obese Adults Nutr.2009;139:264-270, February 1, 2009 (10.3945/jn.108.098293)
- Anti-obese action of raspberry ketone. Life Sci.2005 May 27;77(2):194-204. Epub 2005 Feb 25.
- A Dietary Supplement Containing Standardized Phaseolus vulgarisExtract Influences Body Composition of Overweight Men and Women Int J Med Sci 2007; 4(1):45-52. doi:10.7150/ijms.4.45
- Safety and mechanism of appetite suppression by a novel hydroxycitric acid extract (HCA-SX). Mol Cell Biochem.2002 Sep;238(1-2):89-103.
- Loyola University Health System. “Top four reasons why diets fail.” ScienceDaily, 3 January 2013.
Dietitian with around 5 years of experience in assessing the nutritional needs of patients, counselling individuals, communicating the appropriate nutritional information to other members of the health care team and implementing nutritional care plans by following all the standards.