As we celebrate the festive holiday season, it is expected that whether we like it or not, we will gain weight. It is because it’s the season when people are attending parties and gatherings.
The good thing is that there are many ways to avoid gaining more extra pounds. All you need is self-discipline and self-control so that you’ll know which one to avoid. As you enjoy the holiday season, you should not forget your wellness while having fun.
Why People Gain Weight During Holiday Season
There are different reasons why many people gain weight during holiday season such as the following:
- Social pressure – Obviously, if you’ll attend parties and other gatherings, you can’t help but eat along with your friends, families and colleagues. Even if you’re on a diet there’s a tendency to overeat, thus gain weight.
- Broken routines – The season and holiday rush can break your routines. No matter how focus you are maintaining your weight, somehow you can break it as the need arises. This usually happens to many people during holiday season in such a way that their diet and exercise program is compromised.
- Emotions – Just like any other situations, your emotions can make or break your weight loss effort. That’s why if the holiday season has brought negative impact to your emotions you should expect that it will contribute to gaining weight. This may tend you to focus on eating as a way to overcome your emotions.
- Stress – This condition is a great contributor to gaining weight. Most likely, if a person is a stress, he or she tends to eat without considering the nutrients of the food.
- Food everywhere – Holiday season is the time to share festive foods. The foods present everywhere can tempt anyone even those who are on a strict diet. Thus, gain weight is always possible.
What to Do During Holiday Season
You can celebrate holidays without gaining weight as long as you know the right ways to do.
- Physical activity – Bonding with the family is a common holiday tradition to many. However, most of the time they spend their time on sedentary activities. To avoid gaining weight, it’s essential to engage in physical activities particularly if you eat excessively.
- Control your stress levels – Coping with the demands of holidays is stressful that correlates with gaining weight(1, 2). With this, you should learn how to control your stress level to prevent overheating.
- Get plenty of sleep – Going to parties and gatherings will compromise your sleeping habit. Keep in mind that insufficient sleep hour can cause weight gain (3, 4, 5, 6). You must get plenty of sleep to reduce hunger.
- Select your alcoholic beverages – Alcoholic beverages also contain calories that may cause weight gain (7). If you’ll attend parties make sure to drink alcoholic beverages that have lower calorie content.
- Eat healthy foods – Holiday meals are filled with carbs. To avoid gaining weight during the holiday season you must be watchful on what you eat. So try to eat healthy foods.
- Pack your own foods while traveling – If you will travel during the holidays, you must pack your own foods. This way, you can ensure that you’ll eat the right foods that won’t add extra pounds.
- Choose your dessert wisely – During holiday season dessert is everywhere. If you’re attending a party that has ice cream counter, you must choose wisely.
Read : 3 Day Military Diet
What to Do After the Holiday
If you notice that you gain weight during the holiday seasons, then you must follow these tips listed below. These will help you get rid the excess pounds acquired during the holidays.
- Drink water – You must drink more water to improve your metabolism and prevent cravings.
- Eat more often – It’s safe to eat more often, but make sure to be mindful of the portion you eat.
- Stay away from sodas – As you want to lose weight, you must avoid drinking sodas as they contain more calories.
- Relax – Take time to relax particularly when you engage in a physical activity so that you can reduce your hunger and craving.
- Increase daily exercise – This is the best way to lose weight. Exercising can help in burning out fat. If you don’t have time to exercise then walk regularly.
- Think positively – To succeed in your effort to losing weight, you must always think positive that you can achieve your goals.
Read: 5 Weight Loss Supplements That Actually Work
Indeed, the holiday season is the time of the year when people gain weight. Holiday weight gain is unavoidable, but there are ways that can help you get rid extra pounds.
Here is an infographic to help you avoid weight gain during the holiday season bookmark or pin for future use 🙂
Share this Infographic On Your Site
is a registered dietitian with over 10 years of experience in the field of nutrition. She has a Master’s degree in Nutritional Science from Dhaka University and has worked with various clients to help them achieve their health goals through personalized diet plans. Mounota is passionate about educating people on the benefits of a healthy diet and lifestyle and has written extensively on the subject for various publications.
Leave a Reply