Omni diet plan is one of the many diet programs claiming to help people to achieve positive results in losing weight.
This program isn’t very strict and easy to follow. As long as you employ the required regimen, you can expect better results.
What is Omni Diet
Tana Amen is the creator of the Omni Diet plan. She’s a fitness expert and a nurse. This diet plan employs a holistic approach to lose weight. The diet should be 70% plant-based and 30% protein. The foods must be organic, but there are several restrictions.
The main concept of this all-natural diet plan is to encourage dieters to eat plant-based foods in order to obtain more vitamins and minerals.
The Omni diet plan includes a lean protein that will make you fortified and feel full. Likewise, as it curbs craving for carbs, you can also expect to stabilize your blood sugar level.
How Does Omni Diet Work?
As Omni diet promotes plant-based foods, dieters should ensure ideal balance of seeds, nuts, lean meat, fish, fruits and vegetables. Those foods can improve your performance, promotes optimal health and maximum weight loss.
This diet program involves four phases that will help you to learn a healthy lifestyle.
Day 6 on the Omni diet and I’m down 11.2 lbs. 10 more pounds to my goal weight and 27 days until we leave for Italy I think I’m gonna make it. Yay…” ~ Theresa Driggers Bush
The creator of this diet plan advocates making several changes at once instead of shifting things slowly. She also claims that it’s the best way to keep away from unhealthy foods like refined carbs and sugar.
This phase lasts for a couple of weeks and changes can be noticed right away such as:
- Losing up to 15 pounds
- Curbs carb and sugar cravings
- Reduced pain and swelling
- Improved digestion
- Better focus and energy
- Clearer skin
According to the creator of this diet plan, the dieter should plan their snacks and meals to implement the ratio easily. It may be difficult at first, but at the end of this stage, you’ll feel better and stronger.
As you start the second phase, you need to re=evaluate your eating habits and start workouts. The calorie goals are the same as the first phase. It is required to keep a food journal to avoid old habits from coming back to your routine.
The main objective of phase 2 is to enhance your efforts more than the changes made during phase 1.
During this phase, the restrictiveness of Omni diet is reduced. Ninety percent of your time should adhere with the 70-30 ratio, but you’re allowed to do your own thing for the remaining 10% of your time. In this phase, you need to follow the rules including:
- Add small amounts of legumes and grains to your existing eating habits.
- Reduce alcohol intake to two drinks a week. You should also avoid liquor or beer that contains gluten and sugary drinks as well.
- During the 10% time off, you can enjoy only three bites of the foods you usually eat.
- If you will attend social gatherings, you must plan ahead to enjoy treats.
- Avoid eating foods that can cause health issues like poor digestion.
This is the final stage of the Omni diet and it is also the maintenance phase. It is similar to phase 3, but it should be done for a lifetime. You are required to continue the plant-protein ratio, stick to good choices of foods and limit alcohol intake.
However, there are limitations that you need to follow during this phase such as:
- Follow the general food guidelines.
- Limit to 2 glasses of cocktails or wine per week. Avoid frilly drinks that contain a lot of sugar. You should also avoid beer and vodka as they contain gluten.
Sample Meal Plans of Omni Diet
Starting a diet plan can be easier as long as you know how to mix and match your meals according to the Omni diet guidelines.
As you start the Omni diet, you’re required to eat breakfast an hour after waking up. Taking a healthy breakfast can improve mental clarity so that you can make better decisions throughout the day. Likewise, it also increases focus and makes you feel full longer.
Try these simple breakfast ideas to start your morning right.
- Feel Good Eggs Ranchero – This breakfast meal includes eggs, greens, beans and spices.
- Gluten-free Blueberry French Toast – If you want a sweet-tasting breakfast, you can try this decadent French toast that follows the food guidelines of the diet.
- Mango Passion Smoothie – This is a healthy drink to start your day. It’s a great choice as you can benefit the nutrients from fresh fruits and vegetables as well as flax.
Eating your lunch is very essential not only to prevent too much hunger but also to stabilize your blood sugar. This will keep you away from craving for unhealthy food choices. The creator of Omni diet has some delicious lunch ideas to choose from.
- Asian Fusion Chicken Salad – This is a perfect combination of protein-rich chicken and lots of flavorings and healthy oil.
- Sassy Mint Salad – If you want a flavourful yet healthy dish, Sassy Mint salad is the best choice. It is a refreshing meal that includes different vegetables and herbs.
- Crowd-Pleasing Cioppino – This meal for your lunch is a combination of seafood, vegetables and spices.
As much as you want to enjoy your dinner with your family, you shouldn’t forget to stick to the food guidelines of Omni diet plan. However, the dinner meal ideas listed below are approved by the creator of this diet plan.
- Bison Meatloaf – Enjoy the classic taste of this dish without compromising your health.
- Sizzling Chicken Kebobs – This is an ideal choice for your dinner. It’s very easy to prepare at the same time follow the 70-30 ratio of Omni diet plan.
Smart snacks are essential for a healthy diet. That’s why you should choose snacks that promote good health and weight. You can choose sweet snacks but make sure that it contains natural sweetness.
What Can You Eat on the Omni Diet?
In this phase, you’ll be encouraged to throw out all unnecessary foods at home and replace them with healthy foods suitable for 70-30 ratio diet plan including the following:
- Organic, fresh vegetables except for potatoes
- A small number of fruits, but mostly berries
- Raw seeds and nuts
- Lean meat, poultry and fish
- Organic eggs
- Oils from almond, coconut, macadamia nut, olive and grape seed
- Small amounts of lentils and dried beans
- Fresh and dried spices and herbs
The DOs and DON’Ts of the Omni Diet
- Aside from the foods recommended by the creator of Omni Diet plan, Amen also suggested taking supplements such as a multivitamin, Vitamin D, magnesium, probiotics and fish oil.
- You are also encouraged to do exercise as it is an integral part of the Omni Diet. You can start with walking to a workout at least 30 minutes per day.
Following the Omni Diet requires more effort because it involves limitations. This plan will surely make a big change in your eating habit.
- It is not recommended to use packaged meals or foods.
- Foods that you should avoid while following the Omni diet include dairy products, gluten-rich foods, simple carbohydrates and sugar, soy, corn and artificial sweeteners.
- Alcohol intake is not permitted in the first and second phase of Omni Diet. After completing the second phase you can drink the wine of cocktails but limited to two glasses per day.
- Beverages that contain gluten like gluten are not recommended.
Health Benefits Claimed in The Omni Diet
Omni diet can help those people high blood pressure, heart disease and diabetes. However, if your cholesterol level is high, you should consult first your doctor prior to using coconut oil as it has a higher content of saturated fat.
The good thing is that this diet is low in cholesterol because the main source of calories is plant-based foods. As it limits the intake of sugar and starchy foods, it follows that this diet plan is perfect for diabetic people.
It also claims to boost immunity, slow down rapid aging and reduce inflammation and swelling. This plan is effective to help people drop weight as long as you follow the strict food guidelines.
To ensure getting the health benefits that the Omni diet plan has to offer, you must integrate exercise while following the diet plan.
In spite of the health benefits and other advantages that it has to offer, Omni diet plan should not be used as a replacement for treatment to any medical conditions. You must consult first your doctor prior to following the plan to ensure your safety.
Omni Diet can help on your weight loss effort as long as you’re committed to it. Although it may take time getting used about the diet, it will make you slimmer and healthier.
is a registered dietitian with over 10 years of experience in the field of nutrition. She has a Master’s degree in Nutritional Science from Dhaka University and has worked with various clients to help them achieve their health goals through personalized diet plans. Mounota is passionate about educating people on the benefits of a healthy diet and lifestyle and has written extensively on the subject for various publications.
Leave a Reply