Essential oils are known for its versatility as it can be used in different ways. A drop of essential oils has an amazing effect that helps to improve wellbeing and health.
But, using it for the first time can be tricky especially for first time users. Prior to buying essential oil starter kit, it makes sense to do research about the different types of essential oils, the benefits, and how to use them.
It is a must to use essential oils properly to obtain the best possible results. It can be intimidating to figure out and learn how to use them safely, but once you got the hang of it, the rest is for you to enjoy its benefits.
Essential oils are concentrated that’s why they have a powerful effect. As a rule, before using an essential oil, it should be diluted first with a carrier oil.
Each drop of essential oil contains hundreds of phytochemicals including esters, aldehydes, phenols, ketones, oxides, sesquiterpenes, terpenes, and many more. Each type of phytochemical has a specific function to your body.
Here are some ways on how to use essential oils:
- Bath – Having a warm bath at the end of a tiring day can be soothing. Adding drops of essential oil is more relaxing. If you want to start an invigorating day add no more than 8 drops of essential oils especially if you have sensitive skin to avoid irritation.
- Massage – Essential oils are commonly used as aromatherapy and to obtain the healing benefits of the oil you can use it for massage. Combining the revitalizing effects of massage and therapeutic effects of essential oils can stimulate not only the organs of the body, but also the nerves, muscles, glands, and the skin. When using essential oil for massage, you should combine it with lotion or carrier oil.
- Compress – Essential oil is the best use for relieving pain and for first aid. All you have to do is to add 4 to 6 drops of essential oil into the cold or hot water and soak up the oils by using the absorbent material. Wring out the excess water and apply it to the affected area. Apply a cold compress to reduce swelling and alleviate headaches and sprains. Hot compress is ideal to relieve muscle aches, chronic pain, and period cramps.
- Footbath – If your feet were tired after long hours of walking or exercising, you can add essential oils for a refreshing and soothing aromatherapy footbath. Essential oils that are comforting include peppermint, lavender, rosemary, roman chamomile, and black pepper. These oils can relieve the pains and aches.
- Steam inhalation – This method has been used to alleviate respiratory tract problems. In a large bowl of boiling water, you can add at least 4 drops of essential oil either single or mixed blend. Breathe deeply and slowly while covering the head with a large towel to ensure that the vapor will be inhaled efficiently. Steam inhalation using drops of essential oil can help to congestion or blocked sinuses.
- Weight Loss – Using essential oils in your daily routine can help you lose weight faster and more easily. You can combine grapefruit, ginger and cinnamon oil and take as a supplement three times daily. It will support metabolism.
In spite of the fact that there are various ways to use essential oils, but they are commonly used aromatically and topically. But, some essential oil manufacturers claim that their product line can be used internally, which means that the oil can be ingested.
Make sure that if you ingest essential oil, it should be administered by a licensed physician. Ingestion of this type of oil inappropriately may cause extreme gastric hyperacidity.
Considering the health benefits of essential oils, it’s still important to be extra cautious in using them. Keep in mind that these oils are very potent making them irritating particularly for sensitive skins. It is not advisable to put or apply essential oils in nose, ears, and eyes.
Skin reactions may manifest either through irritation, sensitization, or phototoxicity. Be extra careful using essential oils that cause phototoxicity because they are also photocarcinogenic such as bergamot oil.
Before using essential oil, you should familiarize first with its properties, precautions, and dose. As much as possible you should consult first a medical specialist to ensure your safety.
is a registered dietitian with over 10 years of experience in the field of nutrition. She has a Master’s degree in Nutritional Science from Dhaka University and has worked with various clients to help them achieve their health goals through personalized diet plans. Mounota is passionate about educating people on the benefits of a healthy diet and lifestyle and has written extensively on the subject for various publications.