It is wise for everyone to recognize the major Colon Cancer Warning Signs. Colorectal cancer is one of the most commonly diagnosed cancers in the US.In fact, it is the second leading cause of deaths related to cancer in the US.
According to the National Cancer Institute, there were 108,000 cases of colon cancer diagnosed, with close to 50,000 colon cancer related deaths. As with all cancers, early diagnosis can increase chances of survival.
The Most Common Colon Cancer Warning Signs Include:
Blood in the stool: this can be either dark red or bright red. Very often the lighter color blood can come from hemorrhoids, or intestinal polyps.
Other factors that could cause a redness in the stool is the pigment from beets.
- Constipation and diarrhea: can be a sign of colon cancer, but it can also come from other disorders such as crohn’s disease, irritable bowel. Constipation alone can be caused by improper diet, i.e. not enough fiber, or water. The average adult should consume at least 23 grams of fiber daily and between 6-8 cups of water a day in order to maintain proper colon health.
- Thin stool: If the stool is very thin, one could suspect a tumor in the colon.
- Bloating: A feeling of fullness or bloat is not normal unless after a meal. A constant feeling of fullness requires further investigation.
- Loss of appetite and unexplained weight loss.
- Nausea and vomiting.
- Fatigue: Even though there are many causes of chronic fatigue, if this comes along with some of the other symptoms described, your medical doctor should be consulted.
- Rectal bleeding
- Dark stools, or blood in the stool (often, though, the stool will look normal)
- Cramping or abdominal (belly) pain
There are many recommendations prescribed to help prevent cancer.
Prevention is your best medicine!
- Green tea: Studies on the effects of green tea on your health have demonstrated that daily consumption of the tea can be beneficial in the prevention of colorectal cancer.
- Probiotics: In order for the intestines to function properly we need to supplement our bowels with healthy microflora. These good bacteria keep pathogenic bacteria in check and help prevent infection, aid in digestion and nutrient absorption. They also contribute to increasing our body’s immune system.
- Antioxidants: As recommended by the American Cancer Society, antioxidants, such as in fresh fruits and vegetables are the single best approach to cancer prevention.
- Water: Helps the blood circulation, prevents dehydration and aids in detoxification. According to some authorities, drinking water can help cure many illnesses.
- Exercise: Aids in blood circulation and helps increase intestinal peristalsis.
- High fiber diet: Helps to clean toxins from the intestines.
- Natural colon cleanse: It can improve intestinal health and prevent digestive disorders
Checkout: Best Colon Cleanse for Weight Loss
My most important tip for preventing colon cancer is that if you begin to experience some or all of these colon cancer warning signs, consult with your physician immediately!
Dietitian with around 5 years of experience in assessing the nutritional needs of patients, counselling individuals, communicating the appropriate nutritional information to other members of the health care team and implementing nutritional care plans by following all the standards.