If all the body organs are functioning well, you are in the best state of health. But, how can you ensure that your organs will function properly and save them from possible damages?
The liver is one of the body organs that play a significant role to make a person healthy. But, there are factors that can damage the liver. The best way to keep your liver healthy is to cleanse it and get rid of the toxins accumulated within.
Liver cleansing is a technique to get rid of toxic materials and many people have been practicing such a technique to lose weight. It is important to cleanse the liver to avoid bladder obstruction, constipation or soft feces, and improper micturition.
A liver cleanse may help you to lose weight, but prior to doing it, you should consult first your healthcare provider. Make sure not to abuse using the liver cleanse and keep in mind that it’s not a cure for liver diseases or complications.
Why should you cleanse your liver?
As mentioned above, there are factors that can cause damage to your liver such as eating imbalanced food, lack of exercise, and an unhealthy lifestyle.
This may cause accumulation of fat in the liver, thus it is necessary to cleanse your liver. Liver detoxification can increase energy levels and liver function. This means that you’ll feel a lot better and eventually lose weight.
Foods that help cleanse your liver
The main objective of liver cleanse is to eliminate toxic residue. There are much liver cleanse recipes to follow, but be careful in making your choice. It makes sense knowing the foods that can help to detoxify the liver.
- Green tea – It contains antioxidants such as catechins that improves the liver function.
- Whole grains – They help proper functioning of the liver and improve metabolizing fats.
- Apples – The pectin content of apples along with other chemical components help to eliminate toxins accumulated from the digestive system.
- Grapes – They contain antioxidants and natural sugars that activate proper liver functioning and stimulate the production of bile.
- Leafy green vegetables – The chlorophyll present in green leafy vegetables is a great help for cleansing the liver. It absorbs the toxins from the bloodstream and other major organs of the body.
- Beets and carrots – They are rich in beta-carotene and flavonoids that stimulate the liver function.
- Avocado – Consuming avocado protects the liver from accumulating toxins and at the same time increases the cleansing power.
Liver Detox Recipes
After knowing the foods that provide great cleansing power, it makes sense knowing some liver detox recipes. You can make your own detox drink recipes using different ingredients that also provide various effects.
- Warm lemon water
This detox drink recipe is simple to make using lemon. You can consume it in the morning prior to eating breakfast. Aside from being a detox drink, it also boosts the immune system and metabolism that is the key to weight loss.
- Slim Down Detox Water
The ingredients that you will use in making this detox drink include lemons, cucumber, grapefruit, limes and water. The diuretic effect of cucumber helps your body to release water. The lemons and lime flush out toxins accumulated in the digestive tract, while the grapefruit helps to burn fat. Read cucumber lemon water recipe.
- Strawberry Kiwi Detox Water
Strawberries and grapefruit are rich in vitamins and minerals. This drink isn’t only ideal for detox but also for keeping your body hydrated and balances the sugar level.
- Citrus Detox Water
The combination of cucumbers, citrus fruits and mint leaves can result in a powerful detox drink. Aside from vitamin C, this drink is also rich in lycopene, potassium, phosphorous and calcium.
- Chia Detox Water
Chia is one of the super foods that are rich in fiber and calcium. Adding chia seeds to water create gel-like consistency thus absorbs the water and curbs appetite.
- Apple Cider Vinegar Detox Water
Apple cider vinegar greatly helps to flush out toxins. Adding it to water is an effective detox drink. You can also add lemon, cucumber, and mint to the apple cider vinegar and water mixture.
- Cayenne pepper and Lemon Detox
Combining cayenne pepper, maple syrup, and organic lemon juice is a perfect drink that cleanses not only the digestive system but also the liver. Drinking this beverage flushes out toxins from the body.
Aside from detox drink recipes, you can also consider making a liver detox smoothie. There are healthy detox smoothie recipes that you can find online.
Janice Thompson is a nutritionist. She loves to share her healthy lifestyle and diet tips.