Pizza is a popular food that can be enjoyed fresh out of the oven or as leftovers. But how long does pizza last in the fridge? Can you get sick from eating old pizza? And what’s the best way to reheat refrigerated or frozen pizza? This article will answer all your questions about pizza storage, reheating, and safety.
How Long Does Pizza Last in the Fridge?
Pizza can last in the fridge for up to four days if stored properly. Store it in an airtight container or wrap it tightly in plastic to maximize its shelf life. You can also put it in a resealable plastic bag or aluminium foil. Avoid leaving it in the cardboard box it came in because it can absorb moisture and become soggy.
It’s important to note that the longer you keep the pizza in the fridge, the less fresh it will taste. The cheese and toppings may dry out, making the crust soggy or tough. So, eat your refrigerated pizza within three days for optimal flavour and texture.
How to Store Pizza in the Fridge
To store pizza in the fridge, follow these steps:
- Let the pizza cool down to room temperature before storing it. Putting hot pizza in the fridge can create condensation and make it soggy.
- Cut the pizza into slices if it still needs to be sliced.
- Wrap each slice in plastic wrap or place it in an airtight container.
- Label the container with the date so you know when it was stored.
How to Reheat Frozen Pizza
Reheating refrigerated pizza is easy, but you must do it correctly to avoid drying the crust or making the cheese rubbery. Here are three methods to reheat your pizza:
- Oven method: Preheat your oven to 375°F. Place the pizza slices on a baking sheet or a pizza stone and bake for 8-10 minutes until the cheese is melted and the crust is crispy.
- Skillet method: Heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Place the pizza slices in the skillet and cover with a lid. Cook for 2-3 minutes or until the cheese is melted and the crust is crispy.
- Microwave method: Place the pizza slices on a microwave-safe plate and microwave on high for 30 seconds to one minute or until the cheese is melted.
How Long Does Pizza Last in the Freezer?
If you want to keep your pizza for longer than four days, you can freeze it. Frozen pizza can last for up to two months if stored properly. To freeze pizza, follow these steps:
- Let the pizza cool down to room temperature before storing it.
- Wrap each slice or the entire pizza in plastic wrap.
- Place the wrapped pizza in a resealable plastic bag or aluminium foil.
- Label the container with the date so you know when it was frozen.
How to Tell if Your Pizza Has Gone Bad (5 Signs)
Pizza can spoil just like any other food. Here are five signs that your pizza has gone bad:
- Mould: If you see mould on the pizza, it’s a sign that it’s spoiled and should be thrown away.
- Foul odour: If the pizza smells bad or has a sour odour, it’s a sign that it’s gone bad.
- Discolouration: If the cheese or toppings have changed colour or look discoloured, it’s a sign that the pizza is spoiled.
- Slimy texture: If the pizza feels slimy or wet to the touch, it’s a sign that it’s gone bad.
- Taste: If the pizza tastes off or has a strange flavour, it’s a sign that it’s spoiled.
Can You Get Sick From Eating Pizza Left Out Overnight?
Leaving pizza out overnight can increase the risk of foodborne illness. Bacteria can grow rapidly at room temperature, and if the pizza is not properly stored or covered, it can become contaminated.
It’s recommended to throw away pizza left out for more than two hours at room temperature or more than one hour in temperatures above 90°F. Eating spoiled pizza can cause symptoms like stomach cramps, diarrhoea, and vomiting.
What Happens if You Eat Old Pizza?
Eating old pizza can also increase the risk of foodborne illness. Consuming spoiled pizza can lead to food poisoning, which can cause nausea, vomiting, diarrhoea, and stomach cramps. In some cases, it can also lead to more severe complications such as dehydration or hospitalization.
When pizza starts to spoil, the bacteria in the food begin to break down its components, which can produce toxic substances harmful to human health. Consuming these toxins can lead to food poisoning, and the severity of the symptoms may depend on the type and amount of toxin present in the pizza.
What Should You Do if You Eat Spoiled Pizza?
If you suspect you have eaten spoiled pizza, taking immediate action to prevent further illness is essential. Here are some steps to follow:
- Drink plenty of fluids to prevent dehydration.
- Rest and avoid any strenuous activity.
- Avoid solid foods until your symptoms subside.
- If your symptoms persist for over a few days, seek medical attention.
In severe cases, food poisoning can lead to complications that require hospitalization. Monitoring your symptoms closely and seeking medical help if necessary is essential.
When to Seek Medical Help After Eating Spoiled Pizza
Most cases of food poisoning from eating spoiled pizza can be treated at home with rest and hydration. However, in some cases, the symptoms can be severe enough to require medical attention.
You should seek medical help immediately if you experience any of the following symptoms:
- High fever
- Severe abdominal pain
- Blood in stool or vomit
- Dehydration, including dry mouth, dark urine, and dizziness
- Persistent vomiting or diarrhoea
These symptoms can indicate a more severe case of food poisoning that requires medical intervention.
How Long Does Pizza Last FAQ
Here are some commonly asked questions about pizza storage and shelf life:
Can You Eat Leftover Pizza After 5 Days?
Eating leftover pizza after five days is not recommended because it can become contaminated with bacteria that can cause food poisoning. Consuming refrigerated pizza within three days is best, or freezing it later.
Does Pizza Go Bad in the Fridge?
Yes, pizza can go bad in the fridge if it’s not stored properly or left too long. To prevent spoilage, store your pizza in an airtight container, and consume it within three days.
How Long Does Pizza Last in the Box?
Pizza should not be left in the box for more than two hours because it can become contaminated with bacteria. It’s best to transfer the pizza to an airtight container or wrap it tightly in plastic wrap and store it in the fridge or freezer.
What is the Best Method for Reheating Pizza?
The oven method is generally considered the best method for reheating pizza because it makes the crust crispy while heating the toppings evenly. However, the skillet method is also a great option if you’re short on time or don’t want to heat the oven.
In conclusion, pizza is a delicious and versatile food that can be enjoyed fresh or as leftovers. However, storing and reheating it properly is important to avoid spoilage and foodborne illness. Follow the tips and guidelines in this article to ensure your pizza stays fresh, safe, and flavorful.
Dr. Charles Davies OA is a medical doctor who loves to share relevant medical information.